Going natural is a long process for some depending on how heat or chemically damaged your hair is. Chemicals straighten your natural curl pattern and chemicals like relaxers straighten your hair permanently. There are 2 options you could choose when going natural. Either BIG CHOP or transition.
- Minimize heat use – flat irons, blow dryers.
- Trim your hair every 3 – 4 months.
- Deep cleanse once/twice a month and use a conditioning shampoo on wash days.
- Stay away from products with sulphate – sulphate strips the hair of its natural oils.
- When transitioning try some styling equipment like curling rods, rollers or bantu knots to help curl your hair.
- Don’t wash your hair daily.
- Refresh your hair daily, but no need to wet your whole head every day. Make use of a spray bottle with water to refresh your curls.
- Finger detangle and rake the products into your hair with your fingers. This is sometimes better than using brushes because you get better distribution.